Sunday, September 25, 2005

Fall single

I'm mired in moving boxes, packing tape and cleaning supplies, so this will be a quickie. (And fair warning: Because I'm moving at the end of this week, things could be skimpy from this end for the next 10 or so days.)

I just got the latest issue of Magnet, which comes with a sampler disc that includes a single from The Fall's next record, Fall Heads Roll (scheduled for a November release from Narnack). I can't say I'm into this--it just doesn't sound like The Fall to me. Not dark-sounding enough . . . or something.

I Can Hear The Grass Grow (mp3) - The Fall

But then, I'm not a huge authority on The Fall. I love This Nation's Saving Grace and keep meaning to spend more time with some of the other records, but never seem to get around to it. Though I realize that if I did, I'd probably adore them. (Damn this blog and its time suckage properties!) Mostly I appreciate The Fall for their massive influence on my beloved Pavement. Slanted and Enchanted never would've happened if it hadn't have been for Mark E. Smith.

L.A. (mp3) - The Fall

No Life Singed Her (mp3) - Pavement (Live at Brixton Academy, London, 1992)

Update: An anonymous comment tells me the new Fall track is a cover of a song by 60s band The Move. At least give my ear credit for knowing it didn't sound like the usual material.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" wouldn't sound much like The Fall, considering that it's a cover of a song by 1960s bubblegum group The Move. www.allmusic.com searches are your friend.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

Any Fall is good Fall. It's great to hear Marc's nasal sloppy slurred delivery once again

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home