Thursday, August 11, 2005

Orange is the new . . .

Oranges Band

Three things you should know about The Oranges Band:

1. They sound like they're from California but are, in fact, from Baltimore.
Some of the best moments of the Oranges' second LP, The World & Everything In It, will remind you of The Beach Boys/Jan and Dean or Dick Dale and his surf guitar. At their more melodic-punk points, the band sounds a bit like fellow Lookout Records artists Ted Leo and Green Day.

2. Leadman Roman Kuebler played bass on Spoon's Kill The Moonlight tour.
On the Oranges' earlier releases (two EPs and a full-length), you could hear the Spoon influence. Or more to the point, a lot of Wire and Mission of Burma. Except for the first track on the new album, "Believe"--which has that skeletal, art rock thing going--the band seems to have found an original pop-punk sound. Many miles on the road have left the Oranges tight and confident and a lengthy recording session in a self-assembled studio gives the new album a relaxed, patient vibe. Case in point: "Mountain."

3. The World & Everything In It isn't getting half the attention it deserves.
Maybe it's Lookout's well-publicized financial troubles and there's no marketing budget left. But I can't understand why we're not hearing more about this outstanding record. I've been listening to it repeatedly for days--no letup in sight. Don't believe me? Believe Craig Finn (The Hold Steady).

Ride The Nuclear Wave (mp3) - The Oranges Band

Mountain (mp3) - The Oranges Band

From Five Dollars EP:

What Got You Off The Hook (mp3) - The Oranges Band

Live tracks:

All The Ghosts In Your House (mp3) - The Oranges Band

Stars Are Our Stuck (mp3) - The Oranges Band

Surf Song (mp3) - The Oranges Band

An excellent cover by Spoon of Wire's "Lowdown" from the Oranges' site:

Lowdown (mp3) - Spoon

And has anyone else noticed this trend?

Crooked In The Weird Of The Catacombs (mp3) - Oranger

I Don't Wanna Shine (mp3) - The Orange Peels

Heaven is Rising (mp3) - Orange Cake Mix

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recall a goofy Oranges Band video (a la weezer's happy days) that made at least one play on MTV2 subterranean. If you're not watching this show, it's a good source for new-ish stuff. Sometimes they're way ahead of the curve, sometimes behind.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks for the tip. I had given up on MTV--will have to check out Subterranean.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Hector Savage said...

What, no Orange Juice ?!?

7:57 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I know, I know. I was wondering if someone would mention Orange Juice. I guess the recent Glasgow School reissue makes them kinda new again.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Oranger tune is making me fall in love with myself all over again. It's not Christian rock, like the Oranges Band, but it still seems to make me love Jesus.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Really--I had no idea Oranges was a Christian act. But I barely listen to lyrics (I know, I'm terrible that way). And they do have an EP called 900 Miles of Fucking Hell, so I guess they're not too hung up on the four-letter words.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're not a christian rock band; case-in-point: they don't suck.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home