Sunday, March 25, 2007

Like you mean it

Kissing Jones Beach
Image: Joseph Szabo

Kissing Like It's Love
- The Voyces

Sometimes I resent the hell out of this blog. Surprising sunny 77 degree days like this, in particular. And when I'm stuck, when I haven't heard a new song in days that motivates me to muster enthusiasm and generate pretty words on its behalf, the last thing I feel like doing is sitting down to write an obligatory post. On the other hand, I like to maintain posting momentum: The longer I go without writing something, the more detached I get from the whole dilettantish project, the more seriously I consider quitting music blogging altogether. Fortunately, It hasn't come to so dire an event and I'm not going to be forced to feign anything. A couple hours ago while cleaning the kitchen following a flurry of cooking activity yesterday afternoon (somehow I managed to get chocolate brownie batter everywhere), I slipped in The Voyces' Kissing Like It's Love (due May 8), and was pretty much floored by the title track. I might have even dropped the sponge in my hand. It's the catchiest song I've heard so far this year -- a honey-smacked ditty about, ya know, faking it a little, surrendering to the moment because the moment's what you have, because the sun is grinning yellow and the sky is blue, because
for now it's enough. Or in the words of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young: If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. And in the style of classic radio pop, with a chorus so effortlessly great, so blithe smiling summer wonderful, the song shouldn't feel shy to share a playlist or mixtape with "Go Your Own Way" or "Sugar Sugar." (And that right there is one of my highest compliments.)

The Voyces' Myspace and website.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On accident, I saw The Voyces play live in New York about one month ago. I was blown right out of my shoes. I bought one of their CDs after the show but have yet to listen because also on this night, the band handed out free copies of the song "Kissing Like Its Love". I have not stopped listening to it yet! To quote, "...with your tongue kiss me under the sun like I'M THE ONE...just kiss me LIKE it's love!" It makes me dance and it makes me feel kinda horny but also it makes me sad. And to think I have so many Voyces songs to look forward to. The Voyces! What a discovery!

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Voyces are incredible. Every show is an amazing experience: I get high (Kissing L.I.L.) and I get low (Humming, ouch), like sweet music makes you do. The Voyces take me places. The best band in New York City.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

What a great song. And I'm glad it kept you excited about writing - you would be sorely missed if you did decide to spend your time elsewhere.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent song, am I the only one who thinks the vocalist sounds like Cat Stevens?

8:35 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hmmm, I guess a tiny bit. So when's the grand reopening D?

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me a year to find an apartment, but I move in this weekend. So it looks like I'll have high speed internet again and can start back up ASAP.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone should vote for The Voyces as the band of the month: http://www.thedelimagazine.com
(Right side of home page)

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home