Monday, March 12, 2007

Plead my case

The Great Eastern

Accused of Stealing - The Delgados

Before I found The Delgados, they released five full-length records. And numerous singles and EPs. They played many live shows. People (including John Peel) fell in love with their music. And maybe fell in love to their music (and then perhaps out of love to their music, but hopefully not out of love with). And The Delgados broke up. Before I found The Delgados, a good band was born and lived and died. I wasn't ignorant, just indifferent. Or my priorities were elsewhere. There's always going to be more excellent music than I have time to hear, let alone really listen to. And sometimes (more often than I should) I step over small, subtle, intricate wonders in my rush to witness the big, glittering spectacles. But now that I've found The Delgados, I'm letting them catch me up, tell themselves to me slowly, song by song. Right now -- this very moment -- with trotting drums, a guitar that ticks steady, voices that hover and a hidden waltz.

From The Great Eastern (Amazon, eMusic).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about them. This song is pure bliss.

5:41 AM  
Blogger jonder said...

I heard this song for the first time mere months ago, and was gobsmacked. You're not alone.

2:21 PM  
Blogger evan said...

Verrrrrry nice, Amy. Good post.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the interest of full disclosure, I too -- a 41 year old, still listening to all sorts of music kind of person--somehow, inexplicably, managed only to discover the delgados after it was all over, too. And, as if it were a virus, my college buddy who fits the above description too, also missed the boat. Not sure how they escaped my radar (zines, comps and hours of surfing) so easily. They are soooo good.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home