Sunday, February 11, 2007

This is my happy face

Lemon and bird #1
Image: Matte Stephens

In the interest of not suffocating simple songs under a truckbed load of word-bricks (my typical MO) ...

I learned of both of these artists last year and was instantly enchanted. And I continue captivated.

Liberazione - David Thomas Broughton

But I've had mixed success making David Thomas Broughton converts. He's a little difficult, yes. He has a gift for self-sabotage, definitely. This is his easiest song. And just hear how it concludes.Yet it's as good a point of entry as any. Broughton is the cold ground and the warm rain, both lumbering, earth-tethered melancholy and sky-kissing falsetto, sin-scorched soul and magnolia-white hands.

From Anchovies EP (Rough Trade).
DT Broughton's Myspace

Little A More Strongly Grow I - Benoit Pioulard

Benoit Pioulard may be the most accessible artist Kranky has signed in years (and the poppiest entrant on this Ghostly International comp). If your idea of accessible (and poppy) is holding a glass against a wall to hear in the next room a bad dub of a bad dub on decaying magnetic tape disseminated by a cheap boombox while a bare bulb buzzes above your head and a washing machine shudders in the basement.

Benoit Pioulard's Website

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Great stuff!!! Thanks for sharing. I think you need to add some code to your posts so that we can stream the tracks B4 we download. :)

4:42 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I know. If this blog remains in business (always an if), I'm sure we'll move off Blogger and do a redesign and install the streaming code. I'm just not one to tinker in the meantime.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you please re-up both? Picked up Broughton's album last year, don't have this track though. Please, please, please?

4:33 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

We're still hosting both tracks, but the server seems to be having trouble at the moment. Nothing I can do. Try back later.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home