Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Random favorites

I've not been listening to much new these days. But the iPod has reminded me of a few songs I forgot about.



Leaving My Sorrow Behind - Ben Christophers
This song feels like an appropriate New Years resolution. The filtered vocal and dry acoustic are juxtaposed nicely against each other and finally rooted by the effected drums and very present bass. With a falsetto reminiscent of Jeff Buckley, this song helps push the "New Acoustic Movement" forward and give an appropriate edge to a fairly standard folk song.

The Art Of Driving - Black Box Recorder
I know that trip-hop isn't cool. But I can't deny how the fragile vocals of this genre get me every time. Though not squarely a trip-hop song (which might be impossible anyway with a former member of Jesus & Mary Chain in your band), there are elements here I admit sound a little dated. But I love to drive and I love the minimal instrumentation on this track. Once it gets to "who do you think you are?" I'm mesmerized.



I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire - Clem Snide
Lead singer/visionary Eef Barzelay does a fantastic version of this old Ink Spots song. It's pretty and quirky and a little haunting with the background noises. At 2:50, I usually need to listen to it twice in a row--once is just simply not long enough.

Elevation - The Open
This is my favorite song called "Elevation"--sorry Bono and the boys. The song begins pessimistically ("We're all alone in this life") but ends up being really satisfying to listen to. It's ethereal and atmospheric like Doves and even brings to mind Echo and the Bunnymen. Once it reaches the piano-led bridge, I'm swept up in the gorgeous instrumentation and evocative vocals.



Wrecking Ball - Viva Voce
I love the way Kevin and Anita's voices work together. His "baa baa" bgv's bring a playful dynamic to this song. There are layers of production here to enjoy with each listen. Anita's more "dreamy" vocals balance the distorted bass and electric textures well. I'm not sure how the bridge fits into this song, but it makes me smile each time the song hits the 3:12 mark.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

After hearing the Clem Snide cover last night, I had to go dig up the original and listen again. Gotta be one of the greatest popular songs of all time. Funny how CS takes that original clip-cloppy beat and rides it all the way down a country road.

Trip hop's uncool? I didn't get the memo...

10:41 AM  
Blogger c said...

wow, i have to say that may be my new 2nd favorite song called elevation.... these are all new to me. i really like that ben christophers tune.

11:45 AM  
Blogger -tr0y- said...

Yea i love that CS song amy--I might have the Spot's version on 45 still. C--glad you like ben christophers--look into his second record, Spoonface, for more like it.

11:55 AM  
Blogger mike said...

love viva voce

2:30 PM  
Blogger c said...

thanks for the tip on spoonface troy - will do.
peace

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home