Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Kingdom

The Kingdom

I haven't been this enthused about a new low-fi indie pop band since I came across Envelopes a few months ago. But for a young act with only a single EP on offer, The Kingdom are remarkably assured.

You should know that their debut recording Unitas (US, UK) is an eight-track encomium to Baltimore Colts quarterback Johnny Unitas. Having devoted my existence to learning as little about football as possible, I really couldn't say if Unitas deserves the tribute. But it's a pretty special EP. Packed with sonic ideas culled from 60s garage rock, neo-psychedelia and post-punk, The Kingdom rise above their influences with great, melodic songwriting and enthusiastic, even slightly unhinged, execution. I hate to raise this specter, but they remind me a bit of Arcade Fire--if Arcade Fire (or maybe their fans) took themselves less seriously.

With music like this you always have to ask the question: irony or not? I think not (or not so much). I think these Portland kids are having a blast.

I Am Constellation - The Kingdom (genius!)

Arcadia Of My Youth - The Kingdom

Demos:

Die All Over Me - The Kingdom

Vampyr Holes - The Kingdom

The band expects to release a full-length record early this year on Arena Rock Recordings. I predict much-deserved hype.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great as ever, sorry for not adding you to the sidebar before, since I've been coming back here ofetn, I'm doing it right now.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Gotta listen to this as it sounds interesting. I'm d/l'ing as I type. Oh, Johnny Unitas was a special player. As a football fan, I can vouch for that fact.

6:58 PM  
Blogger kickpleat said...

oh wow, great find! i love them!!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Sloop said...

I'm glad to see Portland bands getting some love.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks all. Sloop, I feel like all I ever do is find good new Portland bands. What's in the water?

4:10 PM  
Blogger c said...

johnny u = awesome.
i think i may have to give these a few more listens to catch the arcade fire reference.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home