Saturday, December 10, 2005

The dream is over?



I don't remember the day. I don't have a romantic story about where I was when I heard the news and about how I held a vigil for the next 48 hours. I was 6. My knowledge of the world, outside of the newest GI Joe figures or the upcoming A Team episode, was pretty limited.

I remember in high school when I "found out." My sophomore English teacher knew I was increasingly obsessed with Beatles' records (I learned to play guitar by listening over and over to The White Album and mostly John's more simplistic songs: "Happiness Is A Warm Gun," "Revolution," and "I'm So Tired.") and he mentioned in passing, assuming I would know, that it was "10 years ago today." That day he lent me a copy of
The Playboy Interviews. Since then, I've done some sort of "remembrance" each December 8th, mostly by committing to listening to Mr. Lennon all day long.

This year was no exception.

These are my three favorite Lennon songs and two of my favorite covers.

"And so dear friends/You just have to carry on/The dream is over."

How?Imagine

Mother John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band

Julia The Beatles (The White Album)

Across The UniverseRufus Wainwright from I Am Sam soundtrack

LoveRosie Thomas from Hear Music: Sweetheart Love Songs

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Funny--it seems like everyone since the 60s learned to play the guitar by listening to Beatles records or following a Beatles songbook. I did, though I never got very far on the guitar...It's almost a universal experience among rock musicians and popular music lovers.

5:56 PM  
Blogger -tr0y- said...

Yea I know a couple people too besides us. I wish I would have known there were chordbooks... I kept backing the needle up to listen to those plinking chords of "I Will" trying to figure it out...

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Troy, you might want to check this out:

NYC radio scan the night Lennon died

jc

1:26 PM  
Blogger -tr0y- said...

yea JC--i've heard that (and a couple other variations) before. call me a cynic, but i'm not convinced it's real... but thanks for offering it up for others

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was jacking off in my dorm room bed when someone broke into my room and announced Howard Cosell had said that Lennon was dead and... ooops... and so they quietly closed the door and I finished up.

10:04 AM  
Blogger -tr0y- said...

thank you anon #2.... i wouldnt have left my name either.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home