Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Get out your wallets

Some short takes, fingers pointing in other directions (in the nicest possible sense) and suggestions for ways you might empty that loose change jangling in your pocket.

Contrast Podcast 6 is now available for your listening pleasure. It's all about the best of 2006, and if you've been paying attention, you already know the track I contributed. If you're looking for it, Big Buildings' Water Everywhere is now available online at CD Baby. Seriously: Be looking it.

It will surprise no one to learn that Shearwater's Palo Santo (US, UK), finally out this week, is a raw, thrilling album, one that leaves all senses, save hearing, superfluous for 40 minutes or so. But other people have said it better than I ever could. Several downloads are available at Misra.

I told you about Kahoots in March, how they remind me of my favorite New Zealand pop bands, how they're generous with the hooks, how their self-titled EP is simply wonderful. Their new full-length Fourteen Ghosts (US, UK) is similarly wonderful. If endorsements are your thing, know folks like Bob Weston and Chris Brokaw lent a hand to the record. But I think the music speaks for itself (stream more at their MySpace):

For a Haystack - Kahoots

A very nice writeup on the new Danielson album Ships (US, UK), also released yesterday, at The Camera as Pen.

A hearty thank you to Green Pea-ness for introducing me to London's Havana Guns. He's got "N.Y.C.S." I found a couple more tracks. Do something: Dance, fall in love, just don't walk away.

Vivan Los Angeles - Havana Guns

The Snake - Havana Guns

I've watched the Gilmore Girls religiously since day one. And by that I mean ritualistically, unthinkingly, a drone switching the T.V. on every Tuesday at 7:00 and sinking into the sofa. I'm not even sure I like the show, to tell you the truth. But wow, was last night worth it. Special appearances by Kim and Thurston, not to mention teenage Coco! And Joe Pernice! And Sparks? Then there was GG mainstay Sam Phillips, who you just don't hear about in the mp3 blogosphere. Like ever. Is she too mainstream? Too old? I remember a time--a several months chunk--when I listened to almost nothing but Martinis and Bikinis (US, UK).

Fighting with Fire - Sam Phillips

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for posting the sam phillips song!!! when i heard her sing on GG last night, i kinda wanted to cry. do you know the name of the song she sang in the street?
-wah

7:35 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

"Taking Pictures" from Fan Dance. More here.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Tim Young said...

Thanks for the submission to the CP as always. I do hope we will hear you again on some future CPs! Tim

4:27 PM  
Blogger -tr0y- said...

Sam Phillips and Joe Pernice? Looks like I gave up on that show too soon. Anonymous--you should get Fan Dance--it's beautiful!!

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gilmore girls. Hmmm. One of the reasons I liked to watch Buffy in the early years was for the singers they'd feature in the club, Michelle Branch, Amy Mann ...

MZ

3:07 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

My post on Shearwater was not worthy of mention? Or is it just that you (and they) can say it so much better than I could. :)

8:28 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oversight fixed, Eric! See "better."

8:47 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I didn't mean you needed to "fix" the post. :)

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home