Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Roots

Mangrove Roots 1, Xavier Cortada
Mangrove Roots 1, Xavier Cortada

Origins - Blood Feathers
As in blood. Forebears, progenitors, kin, kith, clan, the folks who'd never be your friends if they weren't your family. Musical origins? Say the Kinks emigrated to Philly, lived down the block from the Lilys and asked Quentin Stoltzfus (Mazarin) to produce their first album (that last bit--and the part about Philadelphia--is true). This duo's excellent new LP Curse & Praise (Insound) is on heavy rotation round these parts.

Other Days - Big Buildings
As in rock. Tavern ambiance (is that a big screen in the background?), ragged harmonies, a loping bassline and a heartbreaker, a gutwrencher, a good-bawl-in-your-beer of a melody. Reliable Chicago Reader scribe Monica Kendrick calls Big Buildings' second full-length Water Everywhere her favorite local album of 2006. I'll raise Kendrick one and name it my favorite album of the year so far, period. When I posted the band's minimalist "Skinny Women Shaking" last October, I thought they were cool, but I really wasn't expecting this. Let's just say, Band of Horses, watch yr hindquarters.

The album's in limited release right now, but available at the best independent record store in Chicago, Laurie's Planet of Sound, and in wider release this coming Tuesday--likely at CD Baby, where Big Buildings' other recordings are for sale. I'll keep you posted.

4 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

Wow, that Big Buildings track is fantastic. Definitely post an update if you have a better idea about availability of their album.

Thanks for a great page.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Holy cow. That Big Buildings song is great. I saw them once at the Bottom Lounge with Lucero and was impressed but this is fantastic. We should definately meet up the next time I wander my way into the city.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Water Everywhere" should be available online this week (hopefully) at www.starsnostars.com.

12:20 PM  
Blogger evan said...

Yo, Amy--Took me long enough but I finally listened. Real good--you were right about it matching my tastes.

I found their 2004 album on emusic and it's nothing like this. I like this new stuff a lot more.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home