Friday, August 24, 2007

Enormous changes at the last minute

Keep in the Middle of the Road - Doc Watson

Dear readers, I know some of you -- some of you in person and some
through the technological miracles of email, IM, message boards, your own blogs. But I don't know most of you. So I'm reluctant to give you advice, and yet feel compelled to say something anyway. Here goes: Whatever you do, don't keep in the middle of the road, as Doc Watson & family instruct in this curt one minute, 14 second bluegrass version of a PSA. I believe they have good intentions, I'm sure they're only thinking of your safety. They want to prevent you, I assume, from stumbling in the dark, drunk, into a watery roadside ditch and drowning. They may also be concerned with your eternal salvation, but I wouldn't know much about that. Anyway, this middle-of-the-road business ... they're wrong! I've made many mistakes (manymanymany) in my thirtysomething years, and as such, am in a position to offer some hard-won wisdom. In lieu of hugging the median: Have unpopular opinions and voice them loud and regular! Dare to disagree with friends, lovers, family! Tempt fate! Court danger! Succumb to bad influences! Love recklessly, even hopelessly! Pick up and move every five years! Eat snails, frogs legs, insects, organ meats -- at least once! Don't worry about looking stupid! Ever.

And by all means turn to the right then turn to the left then turn as many times as your heart and your head and your gut guide. But keep in mind that if you turn to the right four times (or to the left four times), you'll end up back where you started.

From The Watson Family (Amazon, eMusic)

Also:


First Bergman, then Antonioni, now this:
RIP Grace Paley

Here's one of the reasons I've learned to shut up and love Myspace. Torq, dude, it's a positive review. And it's not insulting to be called an actor if you have in fact acted professionally.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

There's a great Neil Young quote about this which I wish I could remember.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

man, grace paley. not good. she was the real thing.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home