Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Time off

Can't do this right now. Back in a couple weeks (?).

Just a few things first:

My dear friend Robin Allender has just released an album called The Bird and the Word (Dreamboat Records, iTunes) that I highly, highly recommend. I met Robin almost two years when I wrote about some demos he had recorded under the name The Inconsolable. We first got to talking (if I recall correctly) because I said something to Dreamboat Records' Mike about Inconsolable reminding me of Kuzuo Ishiguro's novel The Unconsoled. "Wow," Mike said, "you're the first person ever to solve the origin of 'The Inconsolable.'" (Mike may have been flattering me.) As it turns out, both Robin and I have a couple of totally useless literature degrees and love of bookish things. He has since turned his demos into "proper" recordings and produced this beautiful album influenced by traditional English folk as well as people like Mark Mothersbaugh, John Fahey and the indie rock stuff we all listen to and love. He has also recently joined the band Gravenhurst on bass (this evening in Paris, they opened for Animal Collective). I'll admit I'm terribly biased towards Robin's music. So you'd be much better off reading and trusting the lovely words Said the Gramophone's Sean wrote about "The Memory Trap" (and to download the song, of course). You can also stream/download a couple of songs on Robin's Myspace.

Zara of Bon Ton has assembled a great, but unsurprisingly short list of female music bloggers. (I mean considering there are like 80,000 music blogs, there should be more of us!) If you're a music blogging girl, go add your name in the comments.

Music is Art has been running a wonderful series called Song/Context/Result where mp3 bloggers talk about a moment and a song and what it meant to them. This is the latest entry. I told Danielle I would participate one of these days, but as we can see I'm having a hard enough time keeping this blog updated ...

Finally, très drôle as Catbirdseat's hipster clone prediction of Pitchfest was, the trendoid factor last weekend was thankfully pretty minimal. Sadly, Grizzly Bear was a snooze on a hot, sunny afternoon. Deerhunter was awesome. But I think those guys would rule anytime, anywhere.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

weird everyone I talked to raved about grizzly bear. but they also raved about deerhunter. guess you weren't in the right mindset as both have crashing drums that make me sweat

:)

11:37 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

I don't like the look of that question mark in those parentheses, but I know how you feel.

Come back reenergized and we'll be here waiting.

2:50 PM  
Blogger evan said...

Hope all is well with you, A. If you don't return to blogging, lemme know if everything's ok.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home