Thursday, June 28, 2007

Summer disaster mix

Summer
Image: Mina Magee


On Tuesday Chicago was Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Lakes. A late afternoon cloudburst (4 inches in 45 minutes) and our capricious sewers flipped the off switch and hit the picket line; viaducts turned into churning gray sludge pools and generally smooth east-west arteries were sudden stroke victims. I made it by diverted "express" bus as far north as Lake Shore Drive and Addison, then walked the rest of the three miles home. Which wouldn't have been dire if I'd been wearing my normal homeward-trek footwear instead of two-and-a-half inch heel sandals and a floaty skirt. If the sidewalks hadn't been littered with the storm's natural debris and manmade fallout. If there hadn't been a Cubs game clotting the mile-wide perimeter of Wrigley Field. And if roving bands of desperate, tired, hungry-to-get-home commuters weren't congesting everything else. It was
The Road without the infant-eating and sex-enslaving.

Spectators placed bets at the four-feet-under-water intersection of Irving Park and Ravenswood. The Blazer will make it, one guy called out. Five bucks on the Blazer, another offered.
Meanwhile, enterprising seagulls sensitive to new westward opportunities vultured overhead as if seafood might spawn
before their glinty eyes in the temporary bodies of water. I slipped off my muddy shoes and barefoot, tiptoed the water-rimming catwalk ledge, sidestepping twigs and bottleglass. A few people clapped. (Later I read that a woman who chanced the same intersection-crossing maneuver fell in but swam -- swam! -- to safety. Me: good balance and small feet, I guess.) The Blazer made it too, but the cab that followed was a floater. Fifteen buses wallpapered the edge of the eastbound lane on the other side, their drivers crossarmed and tense. Five degrees hotter, a few hours later, a dash of liquor and it'd be a riot. (If you live in a city long enough you can take that kind of temperature in a glance.) When I reached the Walgreens several blocks from home I stumbled in and bought a Nestle Crunch bar -- the king size. The checkout guy told me that a few miles along it was worse: Crossing Cicero called for a boat. Crunch is a candy bar I never normally buy and definitely not for dinner. But urban adventures (and dystopic) tales write their own twists.

Next month: Hot as hell and power outages! August: Unknown, but inevitable urban disasters! In deference to the nature gods I offer a mix of heat, beats, grooves and appropriate menace. (It's been a while since I've done one of these.) Happy summer!

Hot Funky & Sweaty - The Organites
From Hot Funky & Sweaty: The Sound of Heavy Soul and Funk Today (Amazon, eMusic).


Tony Danza Dancetravaganza
- Shitt Hottt
Myspace

Do Dada - Dance
From New York Noise: Dance Music from the New York Underground 1978-1982 (Amazon).


She Don't Care No More - The Lurios

Myspace

Hustler
- Simian Mobile Disco
From Attack Decay Sustain Release (Amazon). Myspace

99 1/2
- Mavis Staples
From We'll Never Turn Back (Amazon, eMusic). Website

Flapjack Devilfish - Per Se
Myspace

Phosphorus Flash
- The Saffron Sect
From Phosphorus Flash EP (Fig Records). Myspace

You're In Charge of Driving the Narcotics Trolley... - The Voyces
From Kissing Like It's Love (
Amazon, eMusic). Myspace


In the Morning
- The Bee Gees
From The Early Hits (iTunes).

Final Path - Yeasayer
Myspace

Diama Don - Issa Bagayogo
From Tassoumakan (Amazon, eMusic).

Lip Gloss - Lil' Mama
From Lip Gloss (Amazon). Myspace


The Summer Song - YACHT
Myspace

St. Elmo's Fire - Brian Eno
From Another Green World (Amazon)

Download the zip file

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Chicago... I miss her so... not! Well, sometimes.

If it is any consolation, it is raining buckets here in TX too. Flash flood warnings scroll our TVs and blink along the highways... "Turn Around, Don't Drown!"

2:01 PM  
Blogger kickpleat said...

oh my. well, a king-sized crunch bar seems like the only dinner after a day of summer hell. i only wish we can reach summer soon...the northwest is pathetically grey. love the mix and i'm so loving the voyces like you wouldn't believe.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

That is one heck of a killer mix! I don't make it over her nearly often enough and I'm always happy when I do. :)

8:40 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Joe, that warning is so excellent. No mincing words, those Texans. Turn around or YOU WILL DIE! I can imagine you driving through and doing your Joe anti-authority heh-heh chuckle ...

Jeannette, my preferred vice is Ritter Sport milk chocolate and hazelnuts, but desperate times, etc. That Voyces album has a bunch of just perfect pop songs, including one of my favorites of the year, "Kissing Like It's Love."

Thanks, Eric. The photo is new I think? I like your latest redesign. Any time you'd like to redesign this site...

9:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the sweet mix - it almost made having to go to work worth it.

11:44 AM  
Blogger C. said...

great mix, Amy! happy weekend.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice bee-gees song, their ealy stuff is way underrated, and that saffron sect song gave me the goosebumps. eno rulz too. nice one.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great mix. I, for one, am now obsessed with The Voyces.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... I really want make the download > Morning of my life - Bee Gees, How can I do it?

Please,

Stefany

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

skherold@hotmail.com

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home